Putting an addition on your home
- All applications require the
Initial Application form (also referred to as the Blue Form). The "GENERAL INFORMATION"
section, the "WHAT ARE YOU APPLYING TO DO?" section and the "FACTS ABOUT LAND"
section all must be filled out in their entirety. If there is a question you are
not sure about, leave it blank and the secretarial staff will assist when submitting
the application. The property owner's signature is required for all applications.
A copy of the Initial Application form can be found
- Find out what the setback requirements are for the zone the property is located in.
- Submit a site plan for review. Draw the boundaries of your property, any
structures on your property and where you propose to locate your addition or
deck. A sample is linked below.
- Filing fees for Site Plan Review Applications
- The Connecticut General Statutes provide for up to sixty-five (65)
days from day of receipt to process, review and decide upon site plan review
applications. In Middletown, the lead time for Site Plan Review Applications is as
follows: Additions such as decks, etc.- one (1) week. If septic and/or well is
involved, lead time is two (2) weeks.
- The following documentation is required as follows: Additions such as decks, etc.- Two copies of a sketch of the property indicating
the location of the proposed addition, its dimensions and the distances from the
proposed addition to the property lines. If the applicant has a copy of the A-2 survey,
a copy of this can also be used and the addition drawn in. If septic and/or well is
involved, three copies are required. Examples of the sketch and the survey are attached.
For more information on the overall process of obtaining a approval from
Middletown's Department of Planning, Conservation, and Development for a project, please take a look at
Middletown's Developer's Guide.