Recycling is the law.
Everyone must recycle: residents, businesses, institutions, schools, everyone. Above is a List of What is Acceptable (PDF) in Middletown's curbside recycling program. This is uniform, whether you have the City Sanitation District or private collection.
Recycling is picked up curbside on the same day as trash. The Sanitation District Schedule Dec 2018 - May 2019 (PDF) is available. If you live or have a business outside of the Sanitation District, here is a list of Private Trash Haulers (PDF). Most residences have recycling carts on wheels (65 or 95 gallon) for single stream recycling. Single Stream Recycling means the paper recyclables and container recyclables are mixed together. By recycling you can reduce your trash to help protect the environment and save the City money.
Make sure your recycling is placed loose in the recycling cart. NO PLASTIC BAGS.
- Empty and rinse containers. Please no liquids or food residue.
- No straws. Caps are okay if they are ON the containers.
- Place materials loose in your cart. Plastic bags are not accepted in the curbside program because they jam the equipment at the sorting facility.
- Consult the list above for a complete list of what is acceptable.
- Try to reduce your waste, even your recycling. Recycling is great but it still costs money. Think and consider the waste before you buy.
- Close the loop! Buy products made from post-consumer recycled materials.